Monday, January 16, 2012

Recent Pictures & Letter

Hey Hey Hey!
So basically my life ROCKS!!! 2 days ago Elder Jeffrey R. Holland came to Spokane and spoke to us. More like Roared. He is amazing!!!! I just couldn't believe I was in his presence! The best part is, I got to shake his hand!!! I asked him if he would tell Kristen and Elder Oaks I said I love them. He said he will. It's so amazing, when Elder Holland chastizes you it feels like he's saying I love you over and over again. I wish I had the gift of calling someone to repentance and they say afterward thank you so much!!! That was so loving of you. haha On top of that we have a new man on date for Baptism!!! I just can't believe how elect this man is!! So the Zone Leaders in Clarkston were teaching one of their recent converts about faith and her friend, who just went through a divorce (He's in his 60's) sat in on the lesson. The Elders directed the lesson to him and he just soaked it all up. They invited him to go to church on sunday and he excitedly said he would. So after church that sunday he stayed for 30 minutes and asked the Gospel Principles teacher a million questions. The Zone Leaders called us and said hey we found a man in your area who is super interested and so we are going to do an emergency exchange to hand him over to you. So I went with Elder Neeley and taught him in his home. Keep in mind that this is his second lesson, and second time ever hearing about the church. We asked him what he thought about church. (His family has recently disowned him through the divorce) and he said it didn't feel like a church but more like a family. I just felt so loved there. We gave him the First Lesson and after we gave Joseph Smith's account of the first vision we asked him "how do you feel after hearing Joseph Smith's experience?" He said "I don't see why a 14 year old boy couldn't receive an answer to a prayer and also the 1800s seems like the perfect time for the church to be restored. If it was nowadays people would never believe a 14 year old boy because of all the drugs" His Faith is so strong. We taught him how to pray and invited him to pray for the first time and ask Heavenly Father if the things we talked about and the Book of Mormon are true. His prayer was this: "Heavenly Father, I just want to know if the Book of Mormon is true. Thank you so much for bringing these people into my life. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." I asked him how he felt after he prayed and he said "I just feel like jello! It's the same exact feeling I get when I do something good for someone" We explained how the Holy Ghost works and testifies of truth and he knew he had received an answer. He is excited to read the Book of Mormon. We invited him to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the proper authority of God and he wants to be baptized on February 4th. We promised him that we are here for him every step of the way to help him prepare for that date. He said "What is there to prepare?" Heavenly Father has truly prepared him to receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I feel so blessed to be an instrument in the Lord's hands in bringing closer to Christ. What a miracle. He came to church and loved it once again yesterday. We're seeing him tonight and also Wednesday. So Elder Holland told us that we are not nearly as bold as missionaries. So that's what I am working on. Being more bold. I could NOT sleep all night last night because I kept waking up thinking about my investigators. We met this wonderful family and we are taking them on a Tour of the Church this week and they were on my mind all night. I just can't wait to tell them that their family can be together forever. So Elder Chambers told me I talked in my sleep last night and said "I'm going to knock okay?" haha I guess I was dreaming about tracting. He also thought it was hilarious that the first thing I said when I woke up (half asleep) "I'm just trying to figure out how I can be more bold" I just want you to know that I love my mission. Every second of it. I hate the fact that everytime the sun goes down I'm one day closer to leaving these amazing people. The members here are so wonderful!!! We finally have gained their trust and the work is increasing big time every week. It feels so good because we are breaking out goals!!! I want you all to remember that Jesus Christ's atonement has two parts to it. The redeeming power and the enabling power. Not only can we be forgiven for our sins (the redeeming power) but we can be given the strength to accomplish anything and get through any hardship we face through the enabling power of the atonement. I love what Elder Holland said to us 2 days ago and I stand right by him when he said it: "I can more easily be told that all of you are a mirage or a fantasy before me than that this isn't the True Church and Kingdom of God on the Earth and that it will succeed."
Elder Whiting
 p.s. I am so excited that today Elder Whiting and Sister Whiting (Grandpa and Grandma) have started their mission to the Philippines!!! I need their mission email.

Being brave and Hearding cattle!


I think i'll get a little closer..
Our heater broke, so we kept warm with the oven!
Lets just say, dogs don't like missionaries..


"Men Working"

Playing darts on P day.

Coolest Picture!
Doing service!

No comments:

Post a Comment